INDIVIDUAL STUFFED MEATBALL PIES serves 4 adapted from TASTY
1/2 pound pizza dough, divided
1 tablespoon avocado oil
3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
FRESH ground sea salt and trim-colored pepper
1 1/2 cups tomato puree
1/2 tablespoon FRESH chopped basil
1/2 tablespoon FRESH chopped oregano
6 ounces tomato paste
1/2 pound mozzarella slices
1 pound SMALL meatballs
1 cup caramelized onions
1 cup bell peppers (red, green and yellow), chopped and sauteed
Parmesan, to serve
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Cut pizza dough in half and roll out 4 medium discs of dough.
- Spray the inside of 4 small springform pans with cooking spray and lay in one of the dough discs.
- Press the dough into the corners.
- Lightly rub the dough with avocado oil, some of the minced garlic, salt and pepper on the dough and brush to cover the surface.
- Air the bottom of the dough with a fork.
- Bake until the dough is cooked and lightly golden brown, 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together the tomato puree, basil, the remainder of minced garlic, oregano and tomato paste in a bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Into the partially cooked bottom layer of pizza dough, shingle a layer of mozzarella slices and then a layer of the homemade marinara sauce.
- Spiral the meatballs in the dish as tightly as possible. Cover with more marinara sauce.
- Add a layer of caramelized onions, and more sliced mozzarella.
- Add the peppers on top of the mozzarella.
- Cut the second piece of dough into strips to form into a lattice pattern on top of the pie.
- Brush with more of the oil, FINELY minced garlic, and kosher salt.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the dough on top is browned and the sauce, meatballs, and cheese are heated through.
- Plate the pies, serve with extra marinara sauce and grated Parmesan.