Make this when you have a recipe that needs the lemons, like a summer lemonade.
8 LARGE lemons
2 LARGE oranges
1 (750ml) bottle of QUALITY vodka
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
- With a sharp peeler remove the peel from the lemons and oranges.
- Trim away any pith from the peels. Save the lemons for lemonade or another recipe.
- Place the peels into a 2 quart pitcher.
- Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap.
- Steep the lemon peels for 4 days at room temperature.
- In a large saucepan blend the water and sugar about 5 minutes over a medium high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- COOL COMPLETELY.
- Pour cooled sugar syrup over the vodka mixture.
- Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Strain Limoncello through a mesh strainer.
- Discard the peels.
- Transfer Limoncello to bottles, sealing bottles and refrigerating 4 hours until chilled.