SMOKEY WHISKEY WINGS Serves 4
Sweet, savory AND a bit of a kick.
2 pounds chicken wing sections
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 quarts cold water
2 tablespoons canola oil
FRESH ground salt and black pepper
2-4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Combine the 3 tablespoons salt, sugar, and water in a large bowl.
- Add the wings and set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove wings from brine and pat dry.
- Toss wings in a bowl with the FRESH ground salt and black pepper and cornstarch until coated evenly.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Arrange wings in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake 30-45 minutes until cooked through and crispy.
3 tablespoons butter
1 garlic clove, FINELY minced
½ cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup whiskey
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup Tabasco OR Frank’s Original hot sauce (optional)
FRESH ground sea salt & black pepper
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (flavor of choice)
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the brown sugar, whiskey, hot sauce, liquid smoke, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally 10-15 minutes.
- In a large heatproof bowl, toss together the wings and sauce, coating them well.
- Serve with celery sticks and blue cheese or ranch dressing.