STRAWBERRY COBBLER BARS – SQUARES 18-20 pieces adapted from REE
3 cups chopped FRESH strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 SMALL lime, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon Malibu rum
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Add the strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, rum, lime zest and lime juice to a mixing bowl.
- Toss to combine and set aside.
CRUST & CRUMBLE
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) salted butter, cubed and chilled, plus more for the pan
1 cup PACKED brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup FINELY chopped walnuts (optional)
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, brown sugar and baking powder.
- Pulse until a loose crumb forms; continue to pulse as you add the cream.
- Grease a 9-X13 baking dish with butter.
- Spread two-thirds of the flour mixture onto the prepared pan and press flat.
- Top with the strawberry mixture, spreading it into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture by dollops, followed by the turbinado sugar.
- Bake the bars until the top is golden and the strawberry layer is thick and bubbling, 28 to 30 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool before icing.
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and lime juice until smooth.
- Cut the cobbler into small squares and drizzle with the icing.
- Add to a platter and serve.
NOTE: Other flavor do work like cherries, peaches, blueberries and even raisins elieve it or not, but strawberry is the best we’ve tried. If using blueberries be sure to use the small WILD ones. If trying the raisins, substitute 1/2 cup of the fruit for figs and/or chopped walnuts.