2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 pound lean ground beef
1 LARGE onion, diced
4-5 garlic cloves, to taste, minced
4 1/2 cups homemade beef broth
14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
2-3 teaspoons Italian seasoning, to taste
FRESH ground salt and pepper, to taste
8 lasagna noodles, broken into bite size pieces
shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz) finely shredded Parmesan cheese
8 ounces ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped FRESH parsley, plus more for garnish, OPTIONAL
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Crumble beef into pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Drain fat from beef and set beef aside.
- Heat remaining oil in pot, add chopped onion and saute 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add in garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Add in broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, browned ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring JUST to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions.
In a mixing bowl, using a fork, stir together mozzarella, Parmesan and ricotta.
Fold cooked pasta into soup along with parsley, then thin soup with a little more broth if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls, dollop with a large scoop of the cheese mixture and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Cheese dollop will melt well once stirred into soup.
- Adapts well to slow cooker also