SAUSAGE BRUNCH PIES
1 box frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 pound pork sausage
6 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped dried pineapple
1/2 cup jack grated cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 LARGE egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheets; roll each into a 16×12-in. rectangle.
- Using a floured cutter, cut twelve 4 inch circles from one sheet.
- Press each round into the bottom and up sides of ungreased muffin tin.
- Using a floured cutter, cut twelve 3-1/2-in. circles from remaining sheet. Set aside.
- Mix sausage, green onions, pineapple pieces, apricots and spices lightly but thoroughly.
- Place 1/4 cup mixture into each pastry cup.
- Brush edges of smaller pastry circles with egg; place over pies, pressing edges to seal.
- Brush with egg.
- Cut slits in top for venting.
- Bake until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in filling reads 160°, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
NOTE: Dried cherries, dates, currants, or golden raisins for the apricots.
BISCUITS AND SAUSAGE GRAVY BAKE
1 pound ground pork sausage
1 tablespoon avocado oil
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup Wondra flour
3 cups milk
FRESH ground salt and pepper
1 can Pillsbury JUMBO biscuits
1 small bunch green onions, chopped
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (hubby like sharp – I prefer medium)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and cook until completely browned and crumbly.
- Drain sausage in colander until free of oil.
- Return pan to heat and add butter.
- Whisk in flour until a golden roux appears.
- SLOWLY add milk, whisking constantly until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add sausage pieces.
- Coat 11×7 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place dish on baking pan to catch any drips.
- Separate biscuits and then separate each biscuit in half so you have 16 pieces.
- Place 8 halves in baking dish.
- Cover with half the sausage mixture.
- Sprinkle half the green onions over the sausage.
- Repeat layers and sprinkle with cheese on top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until golden.
NOTE: CAN EASILY BE MADE INTO INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS & I OFTEN SERVE IT WITH AN EGG ON TOP.
Linking up to FULL Plate Thursday.
PAELLA STYLE CHICKEN & RICE
1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pound Andouille (smoked pork) sausage, thinly sliced
1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered
1 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
3 tablespoons avocado oil
1 fennel bulb with feathers, sliced saving feathers for garnish
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon saffron
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups Arborio (Italian short grain) rice
1 cup water
3/4 cup dry sherry
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound small shrimp, cleaned and de-veined
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large saute’ pan over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and brown about 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate and cover.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate and cover.
- Add remaining oil to pan.
- Add fennel, onions and bell pepper to pan sauteing until fennel softens.
- Stir in garlic, paprika, salt and saffron, stirring until fragrant and sizzling.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring 5 minutes to blend well.
- Add rice and coat well. Add water, chicken broth and sherry. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Arrange chicken and shrimp on top of rice, cooking another 5 minutes covered to heat chicken and shrimp through.
- Garnish with fennel fronds and Enjoy.