PAELLA STYLE CHICKEN & RICE
1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pound Andouille (smoked pork) sausage, thinly sliced
1 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, quartered
1 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground sea salt
2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
3 tablespoons avocado oil
1 fennel bulb with feathers, sliced saving feathers for garnish
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon saffron
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 cups Arborio (Italian short grain) rice
1 cup water
3/4 cup dry sherry
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 pound small shrimp, cleaned and de-veined
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large saute’ pan over medium high heat.
- Add sausage and brown about 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate and cover.
- Add chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate and cover.
- Add remaining oil to pan.
- Add fennel, onions and bell pepper to pan sauteing until fennel softens.
- Stir in garlic, paprika, salt and saffron, stirring until fragrant and sizzling.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring 5 minutes to blend well.
- Add rice and coat well. Add water, chicken broth and sherry. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Arrange chicken and shrimp on top of rice, cooking another 5 minutes covered to heat chicken and shrimp through.
- Garnish with fennel fronds and Enjoy.