MEYER LEMON TARTS
15 Sponge Cake Shells, frozen phyllo tart shells, such as Athens or Puff Pastry Shells, thawed
Nonstick cooking spray
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus for sprinkling
2 large eggs plus 2 large yolks
2 Meyer lemons, zested and juiced (about 1/3 cup)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pats
1 cup small wild blueberries
Whipped cream, for garnish
Turbinado sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray the phyllo shells with cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar.
- Place the shells on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven.
- Bake until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Set aside and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, yolks and the 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl until thick and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and stir to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to a heavy saucepan; heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl set in an ice bath.
Stir in the butter, one pat at a time, and continue stirring to cool down quickly (or chill in the refrigerator until cool to the touch, about 5 minutes).
- Fill a pastry bag or heavy-duty plastic bag with a corner snipped off with the lemon curd filling.
- Pipe the filling into the cooled tart shells, add blueberries on top.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Garnish with a small dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle with turbinado sugar just before serving.