CREAM OF CARROT FENNEL SOUP
1 pound of FRESH carrots, chopped
3/4 cup chopped fennel bulb
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1 teaspoon FRESH ground Pink Himalayan salt
1 teaspoon FRESH ground tri-color peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
3 tablespoons butter
1 large shallot, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons Wondra
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons Cream of Sherry
1/2 cup heavy cream
Fennel fronds for garnish
- Bring water and chicken broth to a boil in a steamer.
- Add carrots and fennel to steamer basket. Steam7-8 minutes or until tender.
- Remove carrots and fennel to cool slightly. Save broth, adding enough water to measure 2 cups. Set aside.
- Add the carrots and fennel to food processor with 1 cup of the steaming broth. Blend until smooth.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan.
- Add shallot, sauteing until soft.
- Add the garlic, sauteing until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in flour, stirring to blend until golden.
- Slowly whisk in the whole milk, heavy cream, cream of sherry and remaining 1 cup of broth.
- Stir in thyme and simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
- Stir in carrot puree.
- Season to taste.
- Top with chopped fennel fronds.