BRAISED TOMATILLO PORK serves 6-8
3-4 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast
1 tablespoon FRESHLY toasted coriander seeds
1 tablespoons FRESHLY toasted cumin seeds
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon avocado oil
10-15 tomatillos, husks removed and chopped
1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 orange, peeled and cut into small segments
1 cup white wine
6 cups chicken broth
- Crush coriander and cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle until aromatic. Set aside.
- Generously season pork roast with FRESH ground salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Brown pork roast on all sides. Remove roast and set aside.
- Add tomatillo and onion pieces to pan, sautéing until tender and tomatillos are slightly charred.
- Add garlic and crushed coriander and cumin seeds. Cook 1 more minute until fragrant.
- Add wine, stirring to combine. Scrape bits from bottom of the pan.
- Stir in chicken broth and return roast to pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, cover and bake 3-3 1/2 hours until pork is tender.
- Shred pork into sauce.
- Serve over creamy masked potatoes, polenta or with tortillas, avocado salsa and sour cream.