RED VELVET CAKE/CUPCAKES with ALMOND CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
2 cups cake flour
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons almond flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup avocado oil
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
scant 2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 fluid ounce red food coloring
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 1/4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line 2-9 inch rounds with parchment paper or 2 muffin pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flours, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of a mixer blend the avocado oil, buttermilk, sugar, eggs, food coloring, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla on medium speed until incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to medium-low speed, and add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl if necessary. Mix until JUST combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans or fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 minutes.
- Cool the cupcakes completely.
- Generously frost the top of each cupcake with the Almond Cream Cheese Frosting.
ALMOND CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
12 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
3 – 8 ounce cream cheese packages, at room temperature
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 1/2 teaspoons PURE vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the butter and cream cheese on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer on medium-low, and slowly add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and almond extract. Once the ingredients are all incorporated, turn the mixer to high, and beat for 1 additional minute.