This is one of those recipes that became COMPLETELY altered by the Corona virus pandemic because I had to work with what I had on hand. And I am so glad!!!! This turned out fantastic and NOTHING like the original.
FIESTA DROWNED EGG SOUP serves 4
14.5 ounce can Hunt’s fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
1 small can chopped green chiles
10 ounce can Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
2 cups chicken broth
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon butter
4 LARGE egg yolks
Bread bowls (optional)
Grated Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Chopped green onions (optional)
- Combine fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles, chicken broth and enchilada sauce in slow cooker.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until the bigger chunks are reduced to amanageable size.
- Set slow cooker to low and cover for 4 hours.
- At the 4 hour mark, generously season the chicken breasts with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts and sear each side 4 minutes or until cooked through.
- Shred chicken and add to slow cooker.
- Gently drop egg yolks evenly into soup.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve in bread bowls with shredded cheese and green onions. I added a dollop of Daisy too 😀