FARMHOUSE CHOPPED SALAD serves 6
12 ounces bacon, chopped
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crispy.
- Drain on paper toweling.
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup FRESH parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons FRESH chives, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk together until smooth.
- Fold in the parsley, chives, garlic, FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 bunch green onions, THINLY sliced
1 cup carrot matchsticks
2 cups shredded sharp white or yellow cheddar cheese
2-3 cups grilled or rotisserie chicken pieces (see note)
- In a large bowl toss together the lettuce, green onions, carrots, tomatoes, 3/4 of the bacon pieces, chicken pieces and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Add dressing, tossing to coat.
- Garnish with remaining cheese and bacon.
- I like to make this salad the same day I go to Costco. I pick up a rotisserie chicken from their deli and it’s the perfect time to pick the chicken from the bone, make a salad and make FRESH chicken stock from the carcass.
- I sometimes add chopped avocado or even radishes.