If you love French Onion Soup, you’ll go COMPLETELY bonkers over this recipe.
FRENCH ONION CHICKEN adapted from MARIA’S MIXING BOWL
2 LARGE shallots, halved and sliced
1/3 cup chopped dried chanterelle mushrooms
1/2 cup crisp white wine
3-4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 3/4 cups beef broth
4 thin chicken steaks
2 tablespoons avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon FRESH thyme leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
4 slices deli-style provolone cheese
FRESH parsley, for garnish
French fried onions, for serving, optional
Mashed potatoes, for serving
- Soak mushrooms in wine for 30 minutes to reconstitute.
- Preheat oven on to 350°.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shallots and stir, cooking 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Add mushrooms and any remaining wine and stir, cooking 8-10 more minutes until caramelized.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of butter to the pan.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and FRESH thyme leaves.
- Cook chicken in skillet for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Move chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Return onion and mushrooms to skillet and sprinkle with flour.
- Stir and cook 1 minute before adding beef broth, whisking until thickened.
- Add chicken back to skillet and spoon sauce over the chicken.
- Top each breast with one slice of provolone. Spoon a bit of sauce over the cheese.
- Move to oven and bake 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and spoon more of the sauce over the chicken.
- Top with parsley and French fried onions.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.