This week I made just chicken legs which are wonderful for leftovers, lunches etc… Just a hint of sweet from the sugar rub and then a bit of a bite from the cayenne pepper also in the rub and with the jalapeno ketchup influence in the sauce. I served it with homemade chili and it was a HUGE hubby hit.
I love this recipe for a several reasons.
- 1) It is extremely flavorful
- 2) It produces tender, juicy and flavorful chicken
- 3) It is extremely easy!
HONEY BBQ CHICKEN
12 pieces of chicken (I like leg quarters or just plain leg and thigh pieces)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon FRESH ground Sea Salt (I use Himalayan pink)
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon QUALITY cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pat chicken dry.
- Combine rub ingredients until well blended.
- Rub over chicken pieces and refrigerate in a shallow dish for 2 hours prior to cooking.
2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup Jalapeno ketchup
1/2 cup QUALITY honey
3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Heinz mustard
2 teaspoons Bragg’s liquid aminos
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Grease grill rack.
- Place chicken pieces on rack in baking dish.
- Roast 25 minutes or until 165°.
- Brush with sauce and turn. Brush again. Return to oven for another 5 minutes or until 170°.
- Serve with remaining sauce.
Leave a reply