Duchess potatoes in the traditional sense can be a lot of work to make them look right so this casserole is a real time saving alternative that looks just as pretty!
DUCHESS POTATO CASSEROLE
3 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
2/3 cup half and half
1 LARGE egg separated plus 2 egg yolks
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 3/4 teaspoons FRESH ground sea salt
Pinch of FRESH ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease a 13×9 baking dish.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan covered 1 inch by cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and simmer 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes.
- Whisk together the half and half, egg yolks, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Rice the potatoes into the sauce pan.
- Stir in 8 tablespoons of the melted butter.
- Stir in half and half mixture.
- Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer.
- Combine the egg white with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter and pinch of salt.
- Pour over potato mixture, spread smooth. At this point you can draw a pattern or just leave plain.
- Bake 45-50 minutes until golden brown. Rotate baking dish half way through.
- Cool 10 minutes before serving.