There are so many different provinces in China and different versions of this same chicken dish. This combination of veggies and flavors is one of our favorites.
CANTONESE CHICKEN serves 4
1 1/4 pound chicken tenders cut into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 LARGE bunch green onions, sliced in large diagonal
2 large carrots, sliced thinly on the diagonal
8 thin slices, peeled garlic
1-2 cups sliced mushrooms (see note)
1/2 pound Bok Choy, sliced 1 1/2 inches long diagonally
1 1/4 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons BRAGG’s liquid aminos
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Toss chicken with oyster sauce and BRAGG’s liquid aminos.
- Whisk together cornstarch and water.
- Heat wok and peanut oil until hot.
- Add carrots, stir frying 2 minutes.
- Add green onions, ginger and garlic, stir frying 20-30 seconds.
- Add chicken mixture and stir fry 2-3 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Add mushrooms and bak choy.
- Add chicken broth and sesame oil.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add cornstarch mixture and return to boil, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes until chicken is completely cooked through, sauce thickens and is glossy.
- Serve over rice.
NOTE: I like beech mushrooms as you can leave them whole and they have a wonderful nutty flavor.
Leave a reply