BACON MAC & CHEESE
8 ounces elbow macaroni or small pasta shells
8 slices thick bacon, diced
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
2 ½ cups WHOLE milk
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese* (see note)
- Cook pasta per package directions and drain well.
- Cook bacon in skillet until crisp.
- Remove bacon to paper toweling to drain.
- Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.
- Add shallots and garlic to bacon drippings over medium heat and cook a minute or two until shallots soften.
- Increase heat to medium high and sprinkle in flour, whisking until golden and smooth.
- Whisk in milk slowly and bring to a SLOW boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 4-5 minutes until
- sauce begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually stir in cheese(s), stirring until cheese is melted and blended well.
- Season to taste.
- Fold in drained pasta and bacon pieces.
NOTE: *For an even creamier texture use a portion of Velvetta cheese to replace some of the cheddar cheese.
Leave a reply