I ORIGINALLY posted this recipe in 2012, but I’ve been making it since the 80’s, but boy did it need a serious photo update. This recipe makes a great side that lasts several days or even weeks with a great vinegar base.
40 ounces +/- canned sliced carrots, drained
14 ounces +/- canned baby peas, drained
1 medium red onion, sliced thin
1 can Campbell’s tomato soup**
3/4 cup vinegar (I sometimes use apple cider and it is just as good)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup avocado (neutral flavored) oil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Whisk together soup, oil, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add carrots, peas and onions.
- Chill overnight so flavors blend.
- Serve cold.
**I replaced the canned soup with the following recipe:
1 1/2 cups milk
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and seasonings and cook until bubbly.
- Add tomato puree’ and blend well.
- Remove from heat and gradually whisk in liquid.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened to desired consistency.