TEXAS POTATOES aka FUNERAL POTATOES aka CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE aka COMPANY POTATOES aka COMFORT POTATOES aka HOLIDAY POTATOES aka HASH BROWN CASSEROLE aka my favorite HEART ATTACK CASSEROLE
This is a delicious recipe that is PERFECT for church suppers, pot-lucks, barbecues… I have been asked over and over for this recipe after events. It is ALWAYS a hit!
1 LARGE bunch green onions, sliced thin
1 can cream of chicken soup
16 ounces FULL fat sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
30 ounce package of frozen hash brown potatoes
1/2 cup melted butter
1 sleeve of Keebler or Ritz crackers, crushed
1 cup corn flakes, crushed into crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 10×15 jelly roll pan LIGHTLY with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the soup, sour cream, 1/4 cup of the melted butter, a VERY generous grinding of both sea salt and black pepper.
- Fold in onions and cheese followed by the frozen potatoes mixing until well blended. If mixture is too thick to blend well add another tablespoon or two of sour cream.
- Combine the corn flakes with the crackers and mix with remaining melted butter.
- Sprinkle on top of potato mixture and bake for 30-45 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and the top is crispy
NOTE: The original recipe calls for using a 9×13 cake pan. We prefer a crispy edge to more of the potatoes so I use a jelly roll pan.