PHILLY CHEESE STEAK SLOPPY JOES yields 6-8
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
1 small Vidalia onion, diced
1 small red bell pepper, diced – most recipes call for green, but they don’t agree with me 😀
4-6 large mushrooms, minced
2 tablespoons QUALITY ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup homemade beef broth
8 ounces Swiss or Provolone cheese, chopped
1 package Kings Hawaiian slider buns
- Add the ground beef to a large cast iron skillet browning until completely browned, slightly crusty and crumbled.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the beef, but leave the fat.
- Add the butter and the onions, sautéing several minutes until softened.
- Add the pepper, sautéing a few minutes more until softened.
- Add the mushrooms, sautéing until cooked through and starting to caramelize..
- Add the beef back into the pan.
- Whisk the beef broth and cornstarch together.
- Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, beef broth cornstarch mixture into the pan, blending well.
- Cook 3-5 minutes until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Turn off the heat, stir in the cheese.
- Served on buns.