This makes quite a large cake, but is quite versatile to change the shape, layers or even makes as cup cakes.
LEMON DROP CAKE
6 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter, softened to room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 LARGE eggs
2 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup Limoncello
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/3 cup FRESH lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 3 – 9inch round cake pans with non-stick baking spray
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients on low speed JUST until combined.
- With the mixer still running on low, add the buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix again JUST until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the cakes are baked through.
3 cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
6 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
3 teaspoons FRESH lemon juice
3-6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
Lemons, thinly sliced for toppings (see notes)
- Using a standing mixer, cream together ALL of the ingredients until stiff and smooth peaks form.
- Slice a thin layer off the tops of the cakes to create a flat surface.
- Place 1 cake layer on your serving plate.
- Evenly cover the top with about 1 cup of frosting.
- Top with 2nd cake layer and evenly cover the top with another cup of frosting.
- Top with the third cake layer.
- Spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides.
- Scoop remaining frosting into a large piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe dollops all over the cake.
- Pipe larger dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake. (see notes)
- Place the sliced lemons in between the larger dollops
CANDIED LEMON SLICES
Candied Lemons are super EASY to make!
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons FRESH lemon juice
2-3 lemons sliced to 1/8-inch thickness
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add lemon slices in a single layer.
- Simmer over medium-low for 15 minutes, gently flipping once or twice during the cooking process.
- Transfer the lemon slices to a wire cooling rack or waxed paper and let cool. Let the candied lemons sit at room temperature for up to 24 hours before storing in an air-tight container.
- When you have time, candy some lemons for decorations as an extra treat!
- You can save any additional frosting for another use if you don’t want to do a bunch of extra decorating.
- For a simply iced cake, sheet cake or cup cakes cut this recipe in half.