BANANA LEMON BLUEBERRY* FRENCH TOAST
1 16 ounce loaf DAY OLD sourdough, french or brioche bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 LARGE roasted bananas (OPTIONAL) see note
1 1/2 cup WILD small blueberries*
6 LARGE eggs
4 large egg whites
2 cups milk
1/3 cup PURE maple syrup
ZEST and juice of 1 LARGE lemon
1 tablespoon PURE vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Powdered sugar, butter and maple syrup for serving
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread a layer of the roasted bananas on the bottom of the baking dish
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt.
- Fold in the bread pieces.
- Pour mixture into baking dish evenly.
- Sprinkle blueberries over bread pieces.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with saran and refrigerate over night.
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator and let sit out while you preheat the oven to 350°.
- Bake uncovered 45-55 minutes until golden brown and center is set.
- Serve dusted with powdered sugar or butter and maple syrup.
- You can substitute the blueberries with just about ANY other berry, peaches or even apples making this recipe just as delicious!
- Let the bread cubes sit out on the counter overnight. The dryer they are, the more custard they will absorb. You want them to be crispy like croutons.
- This can be frozen, but I really don’t recommend it – it always seems soggy to me.
- This is a GREAT way to use up bananas if you need to, but the recipe works wonderfully even without them.