When I was in college, I worked at several restaurants, but by far one of my most favorite was a dinner house called the Four Winds. It was originally a steak house, but as time went on it transformed into a more casual menu at lunch and with the sandwiches we served a slaw that we made fresh daily. Best as I can remember this is the closest version to it and it is soooooooooooooooooo good!
FOUR WINDS SWEET & SOUR SLAW
2 celery stalks, diced small or sliced thin
1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
1/2 small head green cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup mayonnaise
3-4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3-4 tablespoons sugar
Fresh ground salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar until well blended.
- In a large bowl toss together the cabbages, celery and carrots.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over cabbage mixture, sprinkle with caraway seeds and toss until well coated.
- Fold in raisins.
- Adjust salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar to your personal tastes.
- Cover and chill several hours before serving.
Linking up to FULL Plate Thursday.