Meatloaf is really just an oversized meatball. So, why not make it a personal size so you can get more finished edges covered in delicious gravy?
Swedish Meat Loaves are spicy beef meatloaves smothered in a rich tasty gravy served over mashed potatoes with roasted carrots with Lingonberry jam on the side—in other words, Thanksgiving for the rest of the year.
SWEDISH MEATLOAVES with MASHED POTATOES, ROASTED CARROTS & LINGONBERRY JAM
2 Carrots, peeled and sliced into thick coins
3/4 pound Yukon potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup minced yellow onion
several sprigs Parsley, finely chopped
1 slice white bread
3 tablespoons + 1/4 cup milk
2/3 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup beef consomme
2 tablespoon Lingonberry Jam
1 tablespoon avocado oil
2 tablespoons butter
FRESH ground salt and pepper, taste
- PREHEAT oven to 425° and adjust rack to upper position.
- Toss carrots on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes to a medium pot with a large pinch of salt and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to empty pot off heat.
- Place bread and 3 tablespoons milk in a medium bowl. Break up bread with your hands until pasty.
- Add in beef, 2 tablespoons minced onion, half the parsley, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper and salt to taste. Mix by hand gently until thoroughly mixed.
- Shape mixture into two 1-inch-tall loaves.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add meatloaves and cook until browned on surface but not yet cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Once carrots have roasted about 15 minutes, remove sheet from oven and give carrots a toss. Add meatloaves to same sheet and place back in oven.
- Bake until meatloaves are cooked through and carrots are tender, about 15 minutes more.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the same pan you browned the meatloaves in over medium heat.
- Add remaining minced onion. Cook, sauteing, until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, until pasty, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in beef stock and 1/4 cup milk.
- Bring to a simmer, then whisk until thickened, about 1 minute.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg to taste.
- Add more water if too thick.
- Place pot with potatoes over low heat.
- Add 1/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon butter mashing until smooth. Add more milk if too stiff.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Plate potatoes and meatloaves.
- Drizzle with gravy.
- Add carrots and jam to the side.
- Garnish with remaining parsley.
HOUSE SEASONING MIX
1/4 cup fine sea salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon FRESH ground black pepper
- Combine in a small bowl until well blended.
- Store in an air tight container.