My recipe was developed from what I had on hand along with childhood memories of navy beans and ham hocks cooking on the stove. Min from the Bad Girl’s Kitchen recently ran a recipe for Ham & Bean soup that is most similar to what my family cooked when I was young. I developed this biscuit recipe after I fell in love with the Red Lobster’s cheddar biscuits.
NAVY BEAN & HAM SOUP
1 ham bone with meat on it
2 stalks celery, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large shallot, chopped
3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
salt and pepper to taste
Frank’s red pepper hot sauce
1/4 cup finely grated cheddar cheese
- Soak the beans in room temperature water overnight.
- Cover ham bone with water. Sprinkle generously with cayenne pepper, salt, thyme sprigs and black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours or ham falls off the bone.
- Strain the stock and separate into 2 separate 8 cup portions. Freeze 1 portion for your next batch of soup.
- Return the stock to your pan and add the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil. Add beans and ham pieces. Lower to a simmer for 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with a few drops of Frank’s red pepper sauce and some grated cheese.
- Serve with Garlic Cheddar Biscuits.
GARLIC CHEESE BISCUITS
2 cups biscuit baking mix
1 1/2 cups finely shredded Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup milk
1 clove finely minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons margarine, melted
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine baking mix, 1 1/4 cups of the Cheddar cheese, minced garlic and garlic powder.
- Stir in milk.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Brush biscuits with melted butter, and sprinkle with parsley, garlic salt and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 5 more minutes, or until lightly browned on the bottom.