Grams made this as a broccoli casserole for years and I recently converted it to include carrots (I love the color combo), remove the yucky for you condensed soup and then I also discovered Joanne at Eats well with Others who is hosting BSI for this month – talk about perfect timing!
RITZY CARROT & BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
4 medium carrots
2/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons butter
- Wash, peel and slice carrots diagonally.
- In a saucepan combine the water, salt and sugar.
- Add carrots. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to simmer and cook until JUST tender crisp.
- Toss with butter and cinnamon.
6 broccoli crowns, washed and trimmed into 2 inch pieces (stalks also)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Jumbo egg
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons butter
1 1/3 cups ritz cracker crumbs**
4 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook broccoli in boiling, salted water or steam until JUST tender.
- Drain well, cool slightly and toss with carrots and onions.
- Layer into a greased 9×9 baking dish.
- Top with cracker crumbs.
- Melt butter in bottom of saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, mayonnaise and egg, whisking until smooth.
- Pour over broccoli mixture.
- Cover and bake 40 minutes.
- Top with cheese and bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
**I love to substitute Keebler buttery garlic club crackers and add garlic!