This is another recipe from crazy aunt Louise – loved that lady! Remember the Corn Flake Wreaths she made us for Christmas, well she always made this Blueberry Lemon Sauce Cake for 4th of July. She was a serious creature of habit. Thanksgiving always brought her cheesy garlic grits, but I’m still working on perfecting that one – maybe I’ll have it ready for Thanksgiving. I make this in an 8×8 baking dish, but it easily doubles for a 9×13. My sauce turned out quite pale today so I added a little yellow food coloring. LOL I say a little, but from the looks of that picture I added a little too much.
BLUEBERRY LEMON SAUCE CAKE
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
Juice of 1 small lemon
scant 1 cup flour
scant 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Jumbo egg
1/4 cup milk
1+ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice until well blended.
- Add egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk and blend until smooth. Batter will be thicker, like a coffee cake consistency.
- Fold in blueberries.
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
Juice of 2 lemons
- Over a medium-high heat whisk together the water and cornstarch in a saucepan until smooth.
- Add the butter and allow to melt.
- Add the sugars and salt, stirring until dissolved.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until desired sauce consistency.
Thanks – Enjoy!
Yummy and delicious combination of flavours!!
It really is a great taste combination. I hope you enjoy it.
mouthwatering ….lemon sauce topping make it irresistible!
Comments are closed.