LAVERNE DEFAZIO ROAST
1 can Pepsi
3+/- pound pot roast, with good marbling
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 pound mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic, jar
1 package KNORR brown gravy mix
1 tablespoon Better than Bouillon Beef base
Kosher salt and white pepper
- Bring roast to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brown the roast, generously ~ salt and peppering it.
- Whisk together the milk, pepsi, bouillon base and gravy mix.
- Surround roast with onions and mushrooms.
- Pour Milk/Coke mixture over roast.
- Bake for at least 3 hours undisturbed. Depending on the thickness of the roast it will probably take 4-5 hours for a thick 3 pound roast until the meat begins to fall apart. You should be able to cut your roast with a fork.
- The combination of ingredients makes its own gravy that is soooooooooooooooooo good.
Now, for the oven I like to use my grandma’s old Magnalite dutch oven which cooks really even! And see those little hobnail bumps in on the bottom side of the lid? Those are better known as drip catchers. They collect the steam from the juices and redistribute it all right back down on the roast as it cooks. These help keep the meat moist and juicy. After the roast is browned, place it in the dutch oven and spread vegetables all around it.
And just look at these awesome hot roast beef sandwiches!