SOUR CREAM DUTCH APPLE PIE
3+ cups apples, cored, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1 small egg, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream (not light)
9 inch pastry shell, pre-baked and cooled
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, sliced extremely thin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Chop the apples and combine with just enough lemon juice to coat and prevent browning in large bowl.
- In a small bowl sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Fold in the sour cream, egg, vanilla and maple extract until well blended.
- Fold the sour cream mixture into the apples until well coated.
- Carefully pour into the pie shell, mounding towards the center.
- Toss together the topping ingredients until well blended.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the apple mound.
- Lay the pieces of butter all over the top.
- Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Best served with ice cream or fresh whipped cream. If you want to be really decadent try it with Caramel Sauce.