I created this recipe around Christmas time, but only got around to “creating” it this past weekend. These are sooooooooo good – they smell good and they taste good, literally melting in your mouth.
MOLASSES GINGER BROWNIE BARS with MOCHA GINGER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1/4 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1 tablespoon finely ground espresso powder
1 teaspoon high grade (like Red Ape) cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Califronia lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 ounces Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup Grandma’s molasses
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line 9×13 baking pan with heavy duty foil (this will make it easier to lift out and cut brownies, plus keeps your pan clean)
- Spray foil with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, ginger, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Place chocolate pieces in a medium mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Pour melted butter over chocolate, allowing chocolate to melt and mixing until smooth.
- In another large bowl whisk eggs with molasses until well blended.
- Add in sugar, whisking until dissolved.
- Add in chocolate mixture stirring until well blended.
- Gradually add in flour mixture, stirring JUST until all incorporated.
- Transfer batter to pan, spreading to level.
- Bake,rotating pan midway for 25 – 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- COOL COMPLETELY!
4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
2 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Whisk or beat all ingredients together until smooth.
- Spread on cooled brownies.