For some reason hubby LOVES Hamburger helper. Must be left over from his bachelor days BECAUSE IT IS NOT SOMETHING I HAVE EVER MADE. Since I can’t have pre-prepared foods I made him a substitute recipe for his favorite box that he says tastes even better. I make in advance too which makes a great weeknight casserole ready to pop in the oven when you get home. Hubby likes the texture of Velveeta, but I find it a bit rubbery. So I tried Land of Lakes American cheese and it slices great while still giving you that smooth creamy cheese texture when it melts.
BACON CHEESEBURGER HAMBURGER HELPER NOT!!**
6 bacon strips cooked crisp and crumbled
1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cups green giant frozen corn, thawed
2 large Yukon potatoes, sliced
Land o’ Lakes American Cheese Slices
Grated Cheddar for garnish
Corn chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss bacon and corn together.
- Layer potatoes over top.
- Generously salt and pepper the potatoes.
- Place a thin layer of cheese slices over potatoes.
- Brown hamburger and onions together. Salt and pepper well while meat is browning. Drain off fat.
- Layer over the potatoes and top with another layer of potatoes.
- Salt and pepper again and layer with another layer of cheese.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 15 minutes.
NOTE: **I like to make these back to back (that way I also have 2 meals ready to go with half the mess) so the left over bits of browned sausage and caramelized onion add flavor to the hamburger.