This recipe is from my mother-in-law. She told the story that it was something she would make at the end of the month when funds were short because it was cheap. Cheap works though! This is one of the most flavorful salads and always a family favorite. The rolls date back to hubby’s grandfather’s Beverly Hills restaurant, The Castle from MANY years ago.
Green leaf lettuce, torn into bite sized pieces
2 bunches green onions, chopped
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 can albacore tuna IN OIL, drained VERY WELL
1 can bay shrimp drained, or 1 cup fresh
1 large lemon, juiced
1/4 cup mayonnaise
FRESH ground salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl mix together the lettuce, green onions and tomatoes.
- Add the tuna and shrimp. Toss well.
- Squeeze with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and toss again.
- Add mayonnaise and toss until well coated.
4 French Sandwich rolls, cut into halves
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup grated or sliced Fontina cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix together the melted butter and olive oil.
- Dip tops of rolls into butter mixture.
- Dip into the Fontina cheese pressing slightly so the cheese adheres.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Broil until golden and crusty.