SOUR CREAM FAN ROLLS yields 15 rolls
3-4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup fine sugar
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 LARGE egg, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat sour cream, water and butter to 125°.
- Add to dry ingredients and beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and 1/4 cup flour. Beat 2 more minutes.
- Stir in enough remaining flour until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat the dough. Cover with a cheesecloth and let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half.
- Roll each portion in a rectangle about 9×23.
- Cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Stack 5 strips together.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and place cut sides up in greased muffin cups.
- Repeat until all dough is used.
- Cover with cheesecloth and place in warm area to let rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on wire racks.
Leave a reply