I have no excuse for NOT making this recipe sooner and hubby is really mad that I didn’t. This is one of those recipes that you could make each and EVERY week and NEVER get tired of!!
BANANA NUT ROLL
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
1/3 + 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup (garnish) finely chopped walnuts
1/4-1/3 cup golden raisins
- Separate eggs. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease 15×10 jelly roll pan. Line with wax paper and grease the wax paper. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Prepare the cream cheese filling. (SEE BELOW)
- Spread filling in prepared pan. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a small mixing bowl beat the egg yolks with the vanilla, beating about 5 minutes until thick and lemon colored.
- Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar beating on high until sugar is completely dissolved.
- With a spatula fold in banana and 1/2 cup nuts until well blended.
- Thoroughly wash the beaters.
- In a separate chilled clean bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar until STIFF peaks form.
- Fold banana mixture into the egg whites GENTLY and JUST until combined.
- GENTLY spoon batter over the filling in the pan and carefully spread evenly.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until cake springs back.
- Immediately run a knife around the edge of the pan and turn cake out onto a cheesecloth sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Carefully peel off wax paper and discard.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts and raisins.
- Starting from the short side, roll cake into a spiral.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare icing.
- Spread with cream cheese icing.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped nuts.
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
8 + 3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons milk
- Combine softened cream cheese in mixing bowl with the sugar, beating until smooth.
- Add egg and milk, beating until well blended.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon PURE vanilla extract
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoons milk
- Combine cream cheese, almond extract and vanilla extract, beating until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time to reach a spreadable consistency.
NOTE: This icing recipe makes enough to cover the ENTIRE roll thickly. If you just want a drizzle, cut the icing recipe in half!
Congratulations, your awesome post was featured on Full Plate Thursday,440. Thanks so much for sharing with us and hope you will come back soon!
Yummy! We often make banana cake but have never thought to make it into a roll! I was just thinking of what to do with my vegan egg whites! Maybe I will have a go at veganizing this for dessert! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday.
I have never made a cake roll before – this one looks amazing! Thanks for sharing with us at The Blogger’s Pit Stop!
This looks too good to eat, oh who am I kidding, nothing looks that good. I’m sharing this and bookmarking it for when the weather cools off and I can bake again. Dropped by today from #BloggersPitStop and so very glad I did. 🙂
Hope the week ahead treats you kindly. 🙂
Oh my lord that looks so good. I want some now!! Cup of iced coffee – oh so good! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner Party. Have a great week.
Wow, that banana nut roll looks just amazing! Thanks so much for sharing all of your great recipes at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home. –Jennifer
I like making cake rolls. They are so easy, yet impress everyone as “fancy!” Aren’t bananas the best! #FullPlateThursday
I love making cake rolls, but I have not tried a banana nut roll yet. We love banana anything, so my family will love this, I’m sure!
This looks amazing, Tamy! I wish I could have a slice right now! Thanks for sharing!