PINEAPPLE ORANGE ONION ROAST HAM with APPLE BUTTER GLAZE
1 LARGE navel orange
1 medium red onion
1 pineapple, rind removed, halved
7 pound fully cooked bone-in ham
1/4 cup ginger beer
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon Bragg’s liquid aminos
1/2 cup apple butter (see note)
2 tablespoons QUALITY honey
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut half of the pineapple into slices and the other half into chunks.
- Arrange orange slices, onion slices and pineapple rings in roasting pan.
- Pour 1/4 cup of ginger beer over ham.
- Cover with foil, sealing edges.
- Bake 60 minutes.
- While ham is baking puree pineapple chunks with the apple butter and honey.
- Transfer puree to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and liquid aminos, blending well. Simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently until syrupy and reduced to about 1 cup.
- Remove ham from oven, uncover and brush 1/3 cup of syrup over ham and return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Brush another 1/3 cup of syrup over ham for another 5 minutes.
- Brush with remaining glaze and return to oven uncovered for final 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender on the remaining pieces in the drippings to build a gravy from if desired.
NOTE: This recipe also works with orange marmalade or apricot pineapple jam.
Leave a reply