Buttery almond shortbread with a layer of gooey caramel and a thick layer of chocolate – who could say no to a piece?
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted slivered almonds
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
2 Giant Hershey Bars
3/4 cup chopped honey roasted peanuts
1/3 cup chopped almonds, pecans or pistachios
2/3 cup broken stick pretzels
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang all long sides.
- Lightly grease foil.
- Beat powdered sugar and 3/4 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and add almonds, flour, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt just until combined.
- Press on bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 28 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes or so.
- Melt chocolate in microwave for 1 minute, stir and melt 10 more seconds at a time until smooth.
- Immediately spread chocolate on top of the shortbread layer and spread even with an offset spatula.
- Immediately sprinkle with nuts and pretzels, pressing down slightly.
- Cool in fridge 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve.