HERB & CHEESE POTATO GRATIN adapted from TARA TEASPOON
Yukon Gold potatoes plus a couple sweet potatoes mixed with QUALITY FLAVORFUL cheese, and lots of FRESH herbs come together to make a show stopping delicious side dish perfect for the holidays – any holiday, or Sunday family gathering meal!
SERVES 8-10 PREP TIME 20 mins BAKE TIME 50-60 minutes
2 small sweet potatoes
8 small Yukon gold potatoes
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon FRESH dried parsley
1 teaspoon FRESH thyme
1/2 teaspoon FRESH ground sage
1 teaspoon FRESH chopped rosemary
8 ounces (2 cups grated) QUALITY Gruyère OR Fontina cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion, chopped
1/2 cup whole milk or half-and-half
1/2 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Peel potatoes.
- Using a mandolin or vegetable slicer, cut potatoes into VERY thin slices.
- In a large bowl, gently toss potatoes with salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, thyme, sage, rosemary, cheese, and onion, until everything is evenly mixed. Be careful not to break the thin potato slices.
- Working with a small handful of potatoes at a time, gently line up coated slices in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or 2-quart baking dish.
- Whisk together the milk and broth. Pour over and around potatoes.
- Cover pan with foil and seal around edges.
- Bake 50 minutes.
- Remove foil. Continue to bake 15-20 minutes more until potatoes are tender and golden. Test the potatoes with a thin knife to see if they are tender throughout.
- Cool slightly, but serve hot.