SHEET PAN SWEET & SPICY BBQ CHICKEN serves 6
2 1/2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup QUALITY honey
1/4 cup chiles in adobo sauce, chopped small
1/4 cup yellow mustard (OPTIONAL) see notes
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
12 bone in pieces of chicken (legs and thighs work best) see notes
2 cloves garlic, FINELY minced
1 bunch green onions, FINELY minced
1/4 cup avocado oil
- Whisk together the ketchup(s), brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, Chipotle peppers in sauce, mustard if using, salt, pepper, garlic salt and onion salt until well blended.
- Place chicken pieces in a large ziploc bag.
- Pour marinade over chicken pieces and seal tight.
- Marinade in refrigerator for AT LEAST 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line baking sheet with heavy duty foil.
- In a small bowl toss together the avocado oil and onions.
- Spread the onion and oil mixture onto the foil covered baking sheet.
- Remove chicken pieces from the bag and place on top of the onion oil mixture in a single layer.
- Brush with marinade.Reserve remaining marinade.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Brush with reserved marinade again and bake 5 minutes more.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes.
- I’m deathly allergic to mustard so I substitute a jalapeno ketchup that works quite well 😀
- Boneless, skinless pieces can be substituted, BUT be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly! And I cover them for the first half of time with aluminum foil.
- This recipe adapts to the grill quite easily also!