SATURDAY NIGHT BAKED BEANS aka COWBOY BEANS
1 1/2 pounds dried beans (I use a combination of navy, pinto and black beans)
1 smoked ham hock
2 tablespoons salt
8 cups HOMEMADE stock
1 pound QUALITY ground beef
1 LARGE Vidalia onion, small diced
1/2 pound salt pork, cut into small cubes
1/2 bacon, diced
1 can hominy, chopped small
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup PURE maple syrup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup jalapeño ketchup
1 tablespoon Coleman’s dry mustard (optional)
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
2 cups dark brown sugar
- Soak beans overnight, sort out the bad ones and then drain off the water.
- In a large dutch oven cover the ham hock with 8 cups HOMEMADE chicken stock. Simmer 1-2 hours until meat is falling from the bone and liquid has cooked down to about half. Add meat to the slow cooker.
- Cover the beans and chopped hominy with the ham hock broth in a large dutch oven. Add 2 tablespoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 25-30 minutes until softened. Drain (but reserve liquid) and add beans to slow cooker.
- Whisk together the molasses, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper, jalapeno ketchup and mustard if using. Pour into slow cooker.
- While beans are simmering brown the ground beef with the onion pieces. Drain and add to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet brown the bacon and salt pork until JUST crisp. Drain off grease and add to slow cooker.
- Stir everything together until well mixed. Add enough of the reserved ham hock liquid to just cover the beans, stirring to combine.
- Cook on high for 1-2 hours and then on low for 5-6 hours. Stir occasionally, adding just enough water to keep beans from drying out.