We LOVE Mexican food, so this recipe works well into a Mexican themed week. By making Taco Salad, Chili Skillet, Tacos and this Cornbread Tamale pie all back to back I only have to make the meats and parts once and then assemble as needed.
CORNBREAD TAMALE PIE
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained WELL
1-2 large bunches green onions, thinly sliced (save some for garnish)
3/4 pound ground beef
3/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 + cup cheddar cheese (use the +portion as garnish)
1 LARGE egg yolk
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a heavy duty cast iron skillet drizzle avocado oil over hot pan.
- Add beef and generously season with salt and pepper. Cook until browned and completely crumbled. Drain off fat.
- In a prep bowl add drained beef to drained tomatoes and set aside.
- Wipe out pan.
- Add another drizzle of avocado oil when pan is hot again.
- Add onions and sauce until soft.
- Add cumin and chile powder and stir to blend.
- Add beef mixture to pan and stir to coat well. Cook a few minutes until sauce thickens.
- Add beans and remaining cheese in last and remove from heat.
- While meat is cooking prepare batter.
- Whisk together the melted butter, milk and egg yolk until well blended.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, sugar and baking powder blending well.
- Fold in half of the cheese.
- Spread meat mixture evenly in cast iron pan.
- Gently spread the cornbread mixture over the meat mixture.
- Put pan in oven and bake 12-14 minutes until cornbread is golden and set.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with cheese and green onions.