Personally, I like to go a step farther and eat creatively which is what inspired this recipe!
CHICKEN & APPLE PUFF BUNDLES
3/4 pound chicken tenders
1/4 cup chopped Vidalia onions
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
4 ounces orange juice with pulp
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Thaw the pastry sheets at room temperature until they’re easy to handle (about 45 minutes).
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°.
- In a skillet melt butter and saute’ chicken and onion until golden.
- Whisk the orange juice, apple pie spice, brown sugar and sugar together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a low boil.
- Add apple pieces and raisins.
- Add to chicken and onion mixture.
- Simmer until moisture is absorbed.
- Line baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Unfold pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 10-inch square. Cut the pastry sheet into 4 (5-inch) squares. Repeat with the remaining pastry sheet.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of apple mixture into center of square.
- Brush the edges of the pastry squares with the egg.
- Fold each pastry in half over the apple mixture and press the edges to seal.
- Place the filled pastries onto the baking sheets.
- Brush the tops of the pastries with the egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastries are golden. Let cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove the pastries to a wire rack and let cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.