Moist, fluffy banana cupcakes topped with a cream cheese peanut butter frosting and a fudge drizzle is my most favorite way, but kids like them chocolate;ate dipped!
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg white
1 large egg
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mashed bananas (the riper, the better)
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Beat butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add egg white and egg in two batches, mixing until combined after each.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl, then combine mashed bananas, milk and water in another bowl.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well combined.
- Add the milk and banana mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fill cupcake liners about halfway. Bake for 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
PEANUT BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup salted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter and mix until smooth.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. I used the Ateco 808 large round tip.
- Top cupcakes with a banana chip and sprinkle with crushed banana chips, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Cupcakes are best for 2-3 days.
2 squares unsweetened chocolate squares (preferably Baker’s)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
- Melt chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over low to medium-low heat.
- Add milk and sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until completely melted.
OR CHOCOLATE DIPPED
2 bags chocolate melting wafers OR candy bark
- Put the cupcakes in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Carefully, dip the tops of the cupcakes into the melted chocolate.
- Place in the refrigerator for an hour to allow the chocolate to firm up.