SWEET and SOUR CHICKEN
1/3 cup apricot pineapple jam**
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
scant 1/4 cup grated onion
pinch red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon chili sauce
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
8 ounce can crushed pineapple, WELL drained (reserve juice)
1/2 teaspoon molasses
splash grenadine (for color)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
Fresh ground salt and black pepper, to taste
2-3 pounds chicken thighs##
Sliced scallions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a shallow roasting pan with foil and spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the jam, vinegar, chili sauce, brown sugar, grenadine, pineapple juice, molasses, garlic, all but 1/4 cup of the crushed pineapple and onion.
- Cook over a low heat to heat sauce through.
- Place chicken skin side up on baking sheet, generously seasoning with fresh ground salt and pepper.
- Roast chicken 15 minutes.
- Brush glaze onto chicken pieces (about 1/3 of the glaze).
- Roast another 10-15 minutes until juices run clear and chicken is cooked through (170°).
- Turn oven to broil and raise rack to 5 inches below broiler.
- Brush chicken again with glaze and return to oven, broiling until crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Heat any remaining glaze in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Serve over buttered rice.
- Garnish with scallion greens.
NOTE ** In many places in this country you can’t buy apricot pineapple jam, but I usually buy a jar of apricot and a jar of pineapple and make my own when I can’t find it already made.
NOTE ## You can use mixed chicken parts just as easily, I just prefer thighs. You can also use boneless chicken, JUST BE SURE to adjust cooking times. Also remember that there won’t be any skin to crisp so chicken will dry out some as well as cook faster. IF USING BONELESS PIECES, I brown them in avocado oil in a skillet before adding and tossing with the sauce.
NOTE:@@ To make scallion rice, I substitute a combination of mainly chicken broth with a little pineapple juice for the water in any rice recipe. I then add 1 tablespoon butter, the scallion whites of the onions and 1/4 cup of the crushed pineapple and then cook per package directions.