FRENCH ONION SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS adapted from the Chunky Chef serves 4
1 Vidalia onions peeled, cut in half, and sliced into half-moon shaped slices
1 shallot cut in half, and sliced into half-moon shaped slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 1/4 cups beef stock
4 boneless pork chops about 1 – 1 ½ inches thick
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
2 ½ tablespoons WONDRA flour
4 slices provolone cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss or gruyere cheese
fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Melt butter and avocado oil in a large cast iron or other oven safe skillet, over MED-HIGH heat.
- Add sliced onions and shallots, saute’ 3-5 minutes, until soft.
- Add garlic and saute’ another minute until fragrant.
- Add 1/4 cup beef stock and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes, until onions are extremely tender and golden brown.
- Whisk together the salt, pepper, dried thyme and garlic powder.
- As onions are sautéing, season both sides of pork chops with seasoning mix.
- Transfer onions to a plate, do not wipe out skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium, add a drizzle of avocado oil to the skillet if needed, and cook pork chops, about 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Transfer pork chops to plate.
- Return cooked onions to pan and sprinkle with flour.
- Stir to coat and cook about a minute.
- Add remaining 1 cup beef stock and stir often until mixture comes to a boil.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Nestle pork chops back into the pan, spooning some of the beef stock over the tops of the chops.
- Top with a slices of provolone cheese and a 1/4 cup mound of the shredded Gruyere on top each chop.
- Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme to the skillet.
- Place skillet in oven and bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and gooey.
- Before serving, spoon some of the beef stock/onion mixture over the top of the cheese.
- Garnish with some additional black pepper if desired.
This recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing on Sunday’s Best. I’ll be Pinning your post for future use.
Just one look and that dish looks perfect! That gravy looks absolutely perfect – Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner Party. Have a great week.
A wonderful, delicious, and hearty meal! Thank you for sharing at Fiesta Friday!
This looks amazing, great recipe.