RUSTIC CHICKEN with GARLIC GRAVY adapted from Seasons And Suppers
A SUPER delicious one-pan meal served over mashed potatoes or pasta.
2 Tbsp cooking oil vegetable, canola etc
6 pieces skin-on/bone-in chicken thighs, washed and dried
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
20 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon FRESH thyme leaves
2 tablespoons butter
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oven to 400°. In a large cast iron skillet heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Generously season chicken pieces with salt and the pepper.
- Sear the chicken until golden, turning regularly, for about 8 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a platter, keeping warm.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.
- Add onions and sauce 30 seconds or so.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic, and cook, stirring regularly, until it is starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and garlic and stir until combined.
- Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the oven and put it on a burner.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pot to platter.
- Over medium-high heat, whisk in the wine and simmer for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth, thyme and a bit more salt and pepper, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring regularly, until sauce thickens.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the butter.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasoning.
- Add the chicken back to the pot coating each piece with the sauce.
- Serve spooned over mashed potatoes, rice or pasta