MAGIC COOKIE BUTTER BARS
Years ago one of my VERY favorite treats were Eagle Brand 7 Layer bars A.K.A. as Magic Cookie Bars with sweetened condensed milk, BUT, they were so heavy and calorie packed. This recipe is a WONDERFUL substitute for that recipe and the bars are still moist and tender AND they taste amazingly similar – kind of like a loaded Blondie that strives to be overindulgent! This recipe also makes smaller portion which is great for just 2 people
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons PURE vanilla extract
2 teaspoons QUALITY cinnamon (I use Red Ape)
Heaping 1/3 cup smooth Cookie Butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup roasted coconut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line an 8-by-8-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon, whisking until smooth.
- Add the heaping Cookie Butter, and stir to blend.
- Add the flour and salt, stirring until just combined DO NOT OVER MIX!!!! – these are like brownies and overtaxing will make them tough.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle evenly with the chocolate chips, raisins and coconut.
- Set pan aside while you prepare the streusel.
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup whole rolled old-fashioned oats DO NOT USE quick or instant oats
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-2 teaspoonS cinnamon, to taste
2 tablespoons Cookie Butter, melted for final drizzle after baking
2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- Using the same bowl you made the batter in add all the streusel ingredients except the 2 tablespoons cookie butter and work the mixture with a spoon, a pastry cutter, or your hands until small pebbles form.
- Sprinkle streusel evenly over top.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until center is set and not jiggly; and the edges are set and have pulled away slightly from sides of pan. Test with a toothpick. If it comes out mostly clean, you’re good to go. EVERY oven is different so start checking these at the 30 minute mark.
- After pulling pan from the oven, heat 2 tablespoons of Cookie Butter and 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips in the microwave to melt, about 15 seconds.
- Immediately and evenly drizzle Chocolate Cookie Butter over the top of bars.
- Allow pan to cool for at least 30 minutes cutting.
- Lift out foil and place on cutting board.
- Slice and serve.
- Store bars in an airtight container for up to 1 week at room temperature, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
ORIGINAL MAGIC COOKIE BARS
“This bar cookie is an old fashioned favorite. Chocolate chips, nuts and coconut are set in a caramelized layer on top of a graham cracker crust.” – Eagle brand
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs OR ginger snap cookie crumbs
1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350° (325° for glass dish).
- Coat 13×9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture.
- Layer evenly with chocolate chips, raisins, nuts and coconut. Press down firmly.
- Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cut into bars.
- Store covered at room temperature.
- 7-Layer Magic Cookie Bars: Substitute 1 cup (6-ounces) butterscotch flavored chips* for 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and proceed as directed above.
- Peanut butter flavored chips or white chocolate chips may be substituted for butterscotch flavored chips.
- Magic Peanut Cookie Bars: Substitute 2 cups (about 3/4 pound) chocolate-covered peanuts for semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Magic Rainbow Cookie Bars: Substitute 2 cups plain candy-coated chocolate candies for semi-sweet chocolate chips.
These look as though they taste magical! I’ve bookmarked, shared and can’t wait to try and share these. Thank you. Dropped by from #BloggersPitStop and always happy to be here. 🙂
Wishing you a wonder-filled weekend. 🙂
[…] Chasing My Life […]
[…] please! I bet these Magic Cookie Butter Bars are delectable! Run on over to Chasing my Life to get all of the […]
Your Magic Cookie Butter Bars look delicious! Have a great first week of spring and thanks so much for sharing your awesome post with FULL PLATE THURSDAY!
Wow! These look so good.
Those look so yummy. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, I hope you like them.
Looks so yummy! Love cookie butter 🙂 I found you on the Bloggers Pit Stop Party!!
I hope you try it and ENJOY it.
I used to LOVE magic cookie bars by Eagle but I stopped making them because I knew they were just awful for me. I can’t wait to try this version. Pinned.
I hope you enjoy them. They are lighter and not as gooey, but also better on the hips 😀