SHORT RIBS ala INSTA POT serves 4
2 pounds bone-in short ribs
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon Avocado oil
2 small carrots, chopped
2 large green onion, sliced
1 large stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cups chardonnay or merlot
14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 teablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup beef broth
1-2 sprigs thyme
- Pat short ribs dry.
- GENEROUSLY season with FRESH ground salt and pepper.
- Set INSTA POT to saute’.
- Add avocado oil.
- Brown short ribs on all sides.
- Transfer short ribs to plate.
- Add carrots, celery, onions and garlic, stirring often 5-6 minutes until tender and fragrant. Generously season with FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange vegetables around edges and add tomato paste to the center, cooking a minute or two until browned.
- Add wine and simmer 10-15 minutes until reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- Stir in tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, chicken broth and thyme.
- Return short ribs to the INSTA POT.
- Press cancel.
- Lock lid and cook on HIGH 30-35 minutes.
- Use natural release for 10 minutes.
- Remove meat from sauce.
- Discard thyme and any loose bones.
- Skim off any fat.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of vegetables.
- Use an immersion blender and puree’ remaining vegetable into sauce until smooth.
- Cut beef into large pieces or shred and return to the sauce.
- Serve over polenta.
NOTE: Original recipe called for red wine, red wine and I don’t like each other much. I substituted the chardonnay and even hubby loved it so I think this was a win-win!
2 cups WHOLE milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
scant 3/4 cup polenta (4 ounces)
1/4 cup finely grated Asiago cheese
- Bring milk, butter and salt to a boil in a sauce pan.
- Whisk in polenta.
- Cook, stirring constantly 3-4 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Stir in cheese, adding 3-4 tablespoons of water if too thick.
- Serve short ribs and sauce over polenta.
[…] SHORT RIBS ala INSTA POT with CREAMY POLENTA […]