Not the prettiest looking casserole, but after you dig into it, the flavor makes you forget how it looks!
ITALIAN PIZZA CASSEROLE
4 servings spaghetti or fettuccine
2 sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
1 LARGE shallot halved and sliced thin
1/2 of a LARGE red pepper, diced
2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 cup chopped pepperoni pieces*
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons FRESH chopped herbs (Italian Parsley, Rosemary and Thyme), divided
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 2 quart baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a small skillet heat avocado oil.
- Add Italian sausage, cooking until crumbly and shallots are caramelized.
- Add red peppers, cooking a few minutes more peppers are tender and juicy. Drain sausage mixture of excess grease.
- In a mixing bowl combine sauce, two-thirds of the chopped herbs, pepperoni pieces and sausage mixture until well blended.
- Add half of each cheese, blending well.
- Fold in pasta.
- Arrange mixture into baking dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly on top.
- Sprinkle remaining herbs over cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until heated through.
NOTE: I buy the mini pepperoni bites so there is no chopping involved.