I found this recipe for these incredible buns over at TrickNTreat.
The dough is topped with a milk wash and sanding sugar forms the perfect crust. The instant coffee adds a wonderful flavor and the aroma while baking is mouth watering. You can use colored sanding sugars like I did here for different holidays and add a touch of whimsy.
Eat them warm from the oven while they are soft with that sugary crunch. These are going to become a Sunday morning brunch favorite.
MILK COFFEE BUNS yield 10 buns
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
2 teaspoons QUALITY instant coffee
2 tablespoons milk and sugar for topping
- In a saucepan, scald the milk.
- Add in instant coffee, butter and sugar.
- Cool until lukewarm.
- Place the flour and instant yeast in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the milk mixture and salt, forms into soft pliable dough.
- Knead by hand for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Transfer into greased and covered bowl and let rise until double for 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down, divide into 8-10 balls.
- Shape into smooth balls and place onto baking sheet.
- Brush tops with milk.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Re-cover with a flour sack towel and let sit in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer onto cooling rack.
Leave a reply